What does you have a complex mean?
Answer: A complex is an informal term for what happens when someone develops a belief (often an exadurated belief) that a particular situation is dangerous or embarrassing. For example, you might say, “For heaven’s sake, don’t call attention to her nose being so big! You’ll give her a complex”.
What is complex example?
A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause (sometimes called a subordinate clause). When these two types of clauses appear in a sentence, we create a complex sentence. Consider this example: I like to eat the candy before I watch a movie.
How do you identify a complex sentence?
- A complex sentence is a sentence that contains an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses.
- A compound sentence has two independent clauses.
- A complex sentence has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
- The BBC has a great factsheet and game on complex sentences:
What are 5 examples of complex sentences?
Common Complex Sentence Examples
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
How do you use complex sentences?
A complex sentence is formed by adding one or more subordinate (dependent) clauses to the main (independent) clause using conjunctions and/or relative pronouns. A clause is a simple sentence. Simple sentences contain only one clause (verb group). Complex sentences contain more than one clause (verb group).
How can I speak complex English?
5 ways to improve your spoken English at home:
- 1) Improve your English pronunciation.
- 2) Listen to more English.
- 3) Practice reading English out loud (read and speak)
- 4) Learn phrases, not just individual words.
- 5) Learn from real English conversations.
Why do we use complex sentences?
Complex sentences join an independent clause with a dependent clause. These sentences are used to show a particular kind of relationship—usually a stronger idea joined to a weaker idea, or a controlling idea joined to a secondary, less important idea.
What are 10 examples of complex sentences?
10 Complex Sentences in English
- Although my friends begged me, I chose not to go to the reunion.
- Many people enjoyed the movie; however, Alex did not.
- Although the farmer is ready, the ground is still too wet to plow.
- If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer.
- Although I’m not very good, I really enjoy playing football.
What are 20 examples of complex sentences?
20 Examples of Complex Sentence, Complex Sentences Examples
- My father’s job is very difficult, but He enjoys going to work every day.
- I would like to help you with this and ease your burden, yet unfortunately, I have no time.
- Some people disagree with this theory, however, it’s never been proven right.
- I could not go to school early because I studied lesson until last night.
What are 5 compound sentences?
- She did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do.
- I really need to go to work, but I am too sick to drive.
- I am counting my calories, yet I really want dessert.
- He ran out of money, so he had to stop playing poker.
- They got there early, and they got really good seats.
How complex sentences are used in ielts?
It can also act as the subject/object of the different clauses. For making these changes, words like which, because, as, until, while are used. Another way to write a complex sentence is using ‘conditional clause’ or ‘if clause’. Examples: It may rain today.
What conjunctions are used in complex sentences?
Complex sentences – Part 1: Conjunctions for complex sentences
|contrast||although though even though while whereas|
|reason||because since as|
|time||when as soon as while as once until after before|
What is a complex paragraph?
Here’s a pretty straightforward complex sentence definition: a complex sentence is made up of two clauses, one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. And that’s it!
How do you write compound complex sentences?
A compound sentence is made up of two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, or so) and a comma or by a semicolon alone. Example: The pirate captain lost her treasure map, but she still found the buried treasure.
What are the 3 types of compound sentences?
Three methods of forming compound sentences
- with a coordinating conjunction (one of the fanboys);
- with a semicolon; or.
- with a semicolon and a transitional expression.
How do you teach compound complex sentences?
How to Teach Sentence Structure: Simple, Compound, Complex, Compound-Complex
- Be aware of misconceptions.
- Sequence the sentence types in a scaffolded way.
- Introduce sentence types with mini lessons.
- Give it time.
- Incorporate some fun.
- Differentiate up by requiring skill application.
- Focus on subjects and verbs.
What is compound simple and complex sentences?
A simple sentence consists of only one clause. A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses. A complex sentence has at least one independent clause plus at least one dependent clause. Example 5 is a sentence fragment.
Does a complex sentence need a comma?
Complex sentences are sentences that have two clauses. There can be two independent clauses (each having a subject and predicate), or an independent clause and dependent clause (missing a subject or predicate). A comma is placed right before the conjunction in this type of complex sentence.
What is compound complex?
What is a compound-complex sentence? A compound-complex sentence has two or more independent clause(s) and at least one dependent clause. Simply put, it is a combination of a compound and complex sentence. However, this type of sentence gives writers many ways to create sentences.
How do you use a comma in a complex sentence?
A compound-complex sentence contains two or more independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. Rule: When a sentence begins with a dependent clause that applies to two independent clauses that follow, insert a comma after the dependent clause, but do not insert a comma between the independent clauses.
How do you change a complex sentence?
“To” in the simple sentence, to convert into a complex sentence by adding “so that” in the sentence.
- Simple sentence: We eat to live.
- Complex Sentence: We eat so that we can live.
Can a complex sentence have a semicolon?
Some lists already have commas to join dependent clauses or phrases. In this case, a semicolon can be used to separate the elements in a complex sentence.
What is a complex list?
About Transcript. We use semicolons to punctuate a complex list, which is when list items contain commas. For example, “I visited Paris, France; Paris, Texas; and Paris, Illinois.” Paige explains.
Is when a complex sentence?
The word used to link an independent clause to a dependent clause is called a subordinating conjunction. The most common subordinating conjunctions are although, because, before, even though, if, since, until, and when. In these examples of complex sentences, the subordinating conjunctions are shown in bold.
What are the parts of a complex sentence?
Definition: A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause (the main clause) and one or more dependent clauses. The INDEPENDENT CLAUSE has a subject and verb and can stand alone as a complete sentence. It is also called a simple sentence.